Navigation Menu

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Treasure Trove

"You don't have to read every day, just on the days that you eat."

I love this statement because I find it so true. Reading and writing are some of my favorite things in the world to do. I have been a big reader all my life. On any given day you can ask me what I'm reading and I will always have an answer for you. I will either be in the middle of a book, or I would have just completed a book that day. Sometimes I'm in the middle of 3 or 4 books. I have books for fun. I have books on parenting. I read books for self-help or spiritual matters. But my favorite is always fiction.

I love to dream.

I will read any kind of fiction. Romance. Suspense. Murder. Thriller. Historical. Spiritual. As long as it's appropriate reading, I will conquer it.

This weekend I went to the Bag Day Book Sale at our public library.


It was heaven here on earth! I felt like it was Christmas; I enjoyed it so much.

I wasn't sure what to expect at a used book sale from the library. To get in you must purchase at least one $5 brown paper bag. You can fill it to the top with as many books as you can. You can also purchase as many bags as you want. I was afraid that I wouldn't find anything and hoped they would give me my money back if that was the case.

Boy was I WRONG! I had a hard time tearing myself away from the sale. Ariel and I went as a "girl date" and we both came home overjoyed. We each bought a bag and searched through the many many books to find exactly what we wanted. I think what made it so fun was the fact that you didn't even have to worry about the price on the book. You just had to fit it in your bag. And the library was so generous too. They would help you repack your books in your bag just so you could get what you wanted.


After an hour and a half the books were starting to dwindle down a little. They still had lots, but the tables weren't as full as the beginning, and the people weren't as pushy either. I didn't take pictures until I had found all my books because you had to be a little aggressive to get a spot to search at. The place was packed! Ariel and I even waited in line 30 minutes before they opened the doors.

book bag day sale

It was so much fun! I am counting the days until the next sale. Where else can you walk away with that many books for only $10? You could start a whole library yourself if you visit enough of these sales. The next one is June 18th, from 10am-4pm. I would really encourage you to check it out if you live in this area. If you do attend, make sure to get there either right on time, or a little early. I talked with a friend who went later in the day, and there wasn't anything good left.


I thought I would share some of the treasures me and my daughter found at the sale. She came home with tons of books! I was kind enough to fit some of hers into the sides of my bag.

There were actually two piles of books this size for her, but I only included one in my post.


Ariel found almost half of the Lemony Snickets A Series of Unfortunate Events.
She also was really pleased to find a few bird books and one book on endangered species.


I was a little choosier than Ariel and picked mostly donated books. This series is my only ones that used to be property of the library.


I've read this series before by Beverly Lewis and found it to be very good. I really enjoy her books on the Amish people. When I went to NY a couple years ago, I visited an Amish community with my grandparents. It was very fascinating to me to see the lifestyle they live up close and personal.


Both John Grisham and Mary Higgins Clark are two of my favorite secular authors. I love a good mystery and suspense book! I've read these before, but I have a very bad long term memory so books are always new to me again after a few months.


I really enjoy books by Frank E. Peretti, and it's been years since I read The Oath. I was excited to see these Left Behind books at the sale. I have the Left Behind series; however I've never read the prequels to it.


A long time ago I read the Prayer of Jabez and did a study on it. I thought it was really good and thought I'd pick this up to give to someone. I didn't have the Secrets of the Vine yet, so I was excited to see it there, and in like new condition even! If anyone is interested in the Prayer of Jabez, I'm saving it for you.


The last of my treasure books were all nonfiction. I've read some of them already and even own one of them. I was really interested in the Movie Nights book. It's from the same website PluggedIn that I go to for movie reviews. This book gives you movie suggestions to watch, and then has questions and things to discuss after the movie. It is most intriguing to me!


I can't wait to start reading all my new books. I have one more of the American Girl books that I've committed myself to reading, and them I'm off for some more adventure and intrigue.

I know a lot of libraries have similar sales. I would strongly encourage you to check out your local library. It's like they're handing out the books for free with the low cost of $5 a bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...