Navigation Menu

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Let Everything that Has Breath

Praise the Lord!Every morning we start the day off by running around the house, grabbing clothes, brushing hair, brushing teeth, throwing our shoes on, cleaning up the toys, making our beds, and then we just stop. We all gather together in the living room, the kids sitting at the coffee table, and we spend just a little bit of quiet time with God and each other. A few years ago, I made a rule in our home that everyone needed to be ready by 8:00a.m. If you still have things to do after that, you're in trouble, because they are just going to have to wait until later. I love to have those last ten minutes with my children of quiet time and just rest.

We all take out our prayer journals and spend a little bit of time with God. I want my kids to make sure they always start their day off right, thanking God for the time we have. We are never guaranteed another day, or even another minute, all we know is that we have right now. We must make the best of it.

Usually the kids take about 8 or 9 minutes to write out a prayer in their journal, and then we all take turns reading and praying aloud. It has really turned into a priceless time that we have together as a family. The past couple of months, we have been down to one car, so Titus has even got to share this time with us. I love to hear the hearts of all my family as they thank God for the day, and pray a prayer of blessing over each of us in the family. Even Zechariah has been joining in our special time. He doesn't write down his prayers yet, but he always makes sure we give him a turn. He also is the one to make sure that everyone gets their turn to speak.

I thought I would share with you today's prayers from my children, just so you could see their heart, and understand what a special time this is.

Ariel says:
9 more days till Christmas! Thank you that you sent Jesus to teach us and die on the cross to save us from our sins. Help Mom and Zech to have fun making crafts together. Help Valentine at home to have fun playing and chirping. Help dad to have a good day at work and working all day long. Help Gabe to learn all day long and to have fun learning with Mrs. Johnson. Help Mrs. Booth to teach my class. Help her to have fun teaching and helping out. Thank you for Christmas!
Gabriel says:
I hope I have a good day and I can't wait to get a card and just 9 more days until Christmas!!!!!!!!
I had to include a picture of Gabe's prayer. Many times he draws illustrations if he has some extra time!



And Zechariah says:
Bless God. God is good. God is good. Ariel at school and Gabe at school. Daddy at work. Mommy at home. Amen. The End.


It's one of my favorite things to do each day with my children. It always starts my day off right, and gives me a chance to connect with each of my kids for just a few minutes in the morning. It's a time when we can put aside all that needs to be done, and just focus on God, and each other. I would encourage you, if you don't have a family prayer time each day, start now. It doesn't have to be in the morning, and it doesn't even have to take a long time, just find any time that you can to pray together. I once heard a quote that I really have taken to heart, "The family that prays together, stays together."

I wanted to share with you a tradition we are starting just this year as a family during the holiday season. Next year we will probably start on December 1st, but this year we are doing it with what time we have left until Christmas arrives. As everyone knows, Christmas is a time to remember Jesus and all that He has done for us. He came to serve us, not to be served, and to give His life for us. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful gift. So during this holiday season, we are trying to give something back. We have purchased a beautiful white Christmas stocking for Jesus. Every day we are asking Him what He would like us to do, and who we can do it for? After we've done what we believe He told us, we are writing it down on an anonymous slip of paper, and putting it inside the Christmas stocking. We're hoping to have it filled to the top by Christmas morning. Then before we open any gifts for each other, we're going to read the slips of paper as our gift to Jesus. I told the kids that it would be great if they could find one thing each day to do as an act of service, but certainly they don't need to stop at just one. I love to see the enthusiasm in my children when it comes to doing what God wants. They have already been very excited to start doing kind things for others. I can't wait to see how much more they get into it!


Jesus stocking do good deeds for othersGod, I pray that today we would do the things that you have for us. Show me ways that I can serve my friends, and even people I don't know. I want to be your hands reaching out in love. I want to have your heart of service and be a blessing to all those around me. God, I love you so much, and I thank you for this beautiful day that you have given to me. I pray that I make the most of it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amanda, my name is John. I read a lot of blogs on religion and prayer and I've i feel like I've ended up here once before. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this prayer exchange website PrayerMarket.com I thought it was an interesting idea and would be curious to hear what you (or other Christians) think about it

    I'll check back here in the next day or two, thanks & God bless
    John W.

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...